Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My secret weapon

I got two new aprons for my birthday, both beauties! Before I begin this little tribute to one of life's secret weapons, let me make it clear that aprons and the wearing of them, have the power to transform me, much like Superwoman's lasso. I realize there are tons of women who do not like aprons-or maybe don't like what they think they stand for. I certainly don't pass judgment on this, each woman must march to her own drumbeat. However, I wouldn't live without them due to their incredible usefulness, and what they represent to me.

When I paint, I wear my apron (the one that has hints of dozens of paintings all over it.) When I cook I wear the one with stains from past pot roasts, cherry pies, or maybe that is marinara sauce, anyway it covers my clothes, serves as a cup towel for spills and a
kleenex for fogged up glasses when I open the oven door. Whenever I get serious about shining things up around here, I wear my apron, not because I get that dirty, but because it changes my attitude toward housework, and any other task I tackle here on the home front. I have a garden apron, stained with dirt and pockets big enough for seed packets, garden string and various other necessities. My apron is my uniform of choice. When I tie it around me I feel more ready, more equipped, more willing. Much like a fireman facing a fire without his suit, I feel a bit unequal to the task without my apron.

I read a marvelous article about aprons by Nancy Campbell. She talked about her grandmother and her apron. It carried fresh laundry from the line, wiped children's tears, dusted furniture, carried vegetables from the garden, and countless other important tasks. I cried when I realized how far we have come from what embracing our role at home meant
then and what it means now. Of course, appliances have made our work at home much easier, I'm all over that. What makes me sad is what has happened to our hearts over the past 30 years. It seems many dread, or resent what has made homemaking an art for centuries. It is the resentment that tells the tale and stops the blessing of this art from being handed down mother to daughter.

Homemaking is not easy, but thankfully, it is not about a perfect home, rather having a heart that is grateful for the opportunity to create something powerful. Nancy Campbell beautifully said that we should put on our "attitude apron" as well. I believe that serving our families in love, no matter what the world tries to preach, is the most noble, most valuable arena we will ever be in. Little girls may grow up to be doctors, scientists, writers, astronauts or pilots, but if they choose to also be wives and mothers, I hope their hearts are as committed to creating a home as a career.

I gave our only grandaughter an apron for Christmas last year. She was only three but who knows, maybe seeing her grandmother wear one each
time she comes over will plant some kind of little seed that will grow into more than a memory, maybe an example. Maybe one day she will roll up her sleeves, tie on her apron and feel equipped to tackle some heroic stuff in her home. After all, wives and mothers are the stuff heroes are made of. One of the biggest impacts you can have on people, in or out of the home, is consistently taking on the task at hand, however small, with love. I'm ever grateful for that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderfully said!! Love your aprons! I can just see you in them, serving with LOVE.

Renee said...

Elaine,

My mother tying an apron around her waist was a signal that something wonderful or horrible was about to happen. Wonderful if she pulled out the flour and measuring cups...Terrible if she pulled out the broom and dust mop. If the cleaning supplies came out that meant we had to help. If she was baking...well, our only job was to sample.

"Homemaking is an art," says Susan Schaeffer. It falls directly into your giftedness that you would be a superior homemaker. How I love coming into your home. Some days I long for it and on those days remember the time a group of us were sitting in your front room (BBP- before back porch) and Leah Taylor just pulled her shoes off and curled up on your couch. She may have even slept for a while! That memory has stuck because your home has an almost irresistible pull-making me want to do that every time. I try to mannerly when in your home, however, because I want to be invited again and again. So, I don't take off my shoes...ever...and certainly would not lie down on your couch. But I want to...every time I want to. Just like a child who has found a place of comfort, I want to cozy in as deep as possible and let my heart melt all over the floor.

Here's to aprons, homes and God...

Renee

Cindy Shapton said...

I have such wonderful momories of my grandmother and her aprons! When my children were young I wore one of my inherieted aprons from grandma until it fell apart from use!

Thanks Elaine for the walk down "memory lane"

little blanket of snow

little blanket of snow