Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Breaking out the old soup pot

soup quotes for soup lovers

Do you have a kinder, more adaptable friend in the food world than soup?...You don't see steak hanging around when you're poor and sick, do you?"

"A first rate soup is more creative than a second rate painting."

"Worries go down better with soup."


Fall is in the air, even though it is 90 degrees outside. The leaves are crunchy, the air is dry, the light has changed and the mornings are a promise of things to come--cool and motivating.

Walking into the grocery store yesterday with 15 dollars in my pocket, I had a definite culinary shift in my thinking....I grabbed the little basket (designed for the little spender) and headed for the produce aisle. One potato, one turnip, one onion, 2 carrots, and four or five things later, I zipped out of the store with vegetable soup on my mind, and a balance of one dollar and thirty six cents.

When we have that first "pot of something" at our house in the fall, there is no turning back to cold, lightweight fare that leaves you longing for something more....
"Soup is the song of the hearth..and home", said Louis De somebody. A hot bowl of it by the fireside (even
I think it is a little too soon for a fire) a little music or an old movie and you have the makings of a mighty fine evening. It doesn't hurt to have a fellow soup-phile to share it with.
Ummmm. lets see...potato cheese, split pea with ham, 15 bean, corn chowder, chicken noodle, beef stew, gumbo, clam chowder, cream of tomato, chicken tortilla,
broccoli cheese, cream of chicken..........


Beethoven said, "Only the pure in heart can make a good soup."
(I've checked my heart, and I think he needs to stick to his music)



4 comments:

Ever Grateful said...

Ever so funny and descriptive!
You are so good a conveying your thoughts. I love to read your stuff.

Ever Grateful said...

Lois De somebody . . . classic!

S o S said...

Well..soup is my favorite and with slaw and cornbread and sliced tomato..YES!!!

Unknown said...

You do make the best soup of anybody! I'm ready for soup by the fire!
Love you dear kindred spirit!

little blanket of snow

little blanket of snow