Friday, August 29, 2008

Six grandchildren later


Eleven years ago, when our first grandchild was born, I decided to paint his portrait when he turned three. Little did I know that I would paint five more little three year olds in hopes of freezing on canvas a tiny slice of their fleeting childhoods.

Sam, filling his bucket with sand, Joseph climbing rocks on the beach, Tom waging dinosaur battles, Phillip sailing the pirate seas, Peter setting up animal kingdoms, and MiMi snuggling with her "blankies"--these moments are captured and hanging on the walls of their homes.

I am grateful for the gift God has given me to paint. A sweet reward is that I had to study the tilt of their head, the special curve of their nose, the nape of their neck and the line of their little arms and legs, and because of that I will carry in my mind as well as my heart the way our precious grandchildren looked at three years old.

If anybody in our family decides to have another baby, let's hurry up, I'm not getting any younger!


Someone said, "A grandmother is a mother with a second chance." Ever grateful for that!

1 comment:

Phil Husband Sr. said...

very beautiful - you are amazing

little blanket of snow

little blanket of snow