Saturday, April 3, 2010

Small Joys

My husband's favorite quote is "never give up" by Winston Churchill. It is a mighty good thing because he never quit digging 'til the gigantic hole was dug for our fountain. You'll have to read the previous blog to get the full significance of this task.
I am so happy to have the sound and sight of it whenever I go out, or look out the window. I find it has the exact same effect on me as a fire in the winter...it cheers, it comforts and it affords great company. I have had the thrill of watching the birds find it to drink and to bathe.
When life has deep disappointments, or when life is satisfying you with great good fortune, never underestimate the joy there is to be found in the capacity to enjoy small pleasures.

God has lavishly strewn our lives with myriads of small delights that reflect His love for us. Sometimes it takes a will to look for them. I see now more than ever in my life, it is Him in every joy, it is Him in every sadness, it is Him in all things that help us discover true joy. This week, amidst sad days, He provided the joy of this little fountain. Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "when it is dark enough, you can see all the stars." Look for stars when your nights are dark. I am finding many small joys when I am looking for the Giver, not the gift.
ever grateful for that!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

It looks great!! The rewards of persevering.

Brenda

little blanket of snow

little blanket of snow