Tuesday, September 2, 2008

When a child is born, so are grandmothers

MiMi, Tom, Sam, Peter, Phillip, and Joseph

What an incredibly hard thing it is to get six grandchildren, two who live hundreds of miles away, to be in one picture! I think this is the only one I have. So whether it is a good picture of them or not, I treasure it, as I do them. No one could have prepared me for what is means to be a grandmother, and if they tried I don't remember it having much impact on me.

Well, now I get it. I see that grandmothers and grandchildren are God's gift to each other. Just when I was feeling a little over the hill, here come sincere little people who truly like me no matter what, don't care about the "crinkles", think I'm worthy to be Lucy when we go to Narnia, Gandolf when we are in the Shire, Little John in Sherwood Forest, or Flounder when we go under the sea.

Grandchildren keep our hearts young. I cherish the opportunity God has given me to put whatever good things I can into them. I love the quote that says
"Nobody can do for little children what a grandmother can--sprinkle a little star dust over their lives." But truly, it is Sam, Joseph, Tom, Phillip, MiMi and Peter who have sprinkled star dust into my life, and I pray it will never wear off.

"I wish I had the energy my grandchildren have, if only for self defense."

"Blessed be the ties that bind generations."

"Few things are more delightful that grandchildren fighting over your lap."

No comments:

little blanket of snow

little blanket of snow